Share

Bookmark and Share

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Taking a Test on Terror and Safety

I gave a talk on terrorism to a Lion’s Club group in my home county, Ft. Bend. Since it was a conservative Republican type group, I asked the question: “How many feel safer today than five (5) years ago?”

Not a single hand was raised. I expected more than that.

So I talked about ways to prepare for the unexpected. One item I pointed out was that NONE of our local (regional, state, etc) governments had said anything about having potassium iodide available in case there is a radiation leak from the South Texas Nuclear plant, which is only sixty miles from Houston. Several people seemed to be ready to go get some.

Our leadership has stirred up strong feelings overseas. I think it will increase the chances of more strikes on U.S. targets, although I am not convinced that the liquid explosive threat was real. It would look pretty strange --and obvious-- to see several people trying to mix smelly chemicals on board a flight. It doesn’t sound practical. But the next one could be.

No comments: