Share

Bookmark and Share

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Death Brings Both Aisles Together

Today my wife and I went to Sen. Bentsen’s funeral, which proved to be a bipartisan affair. It was hard to walk without bumping into someone who didn’t need a name tag – Mayor White (D) stood next to Governor Perry (R) -- I even noticed Perry whisper something in White’s ear. Two feet away, I bumped into Sen. Cornyn (R). On the other side of the dessert tray I found myself face to face with Hillary Clinton (D). Former Prez Bill sat outside on the porch as family and friends surrounded Mrs. Bentsen.

I started to leave, rounded a corner and ran into the press. One of them quipped: “Now everyone is here except Steve Stockman.” LOL. I said that I’d been surprised that Mr. DeLay had come. Instead of flapping my lips to the cameras, I let Kay Bailey (R) and Luci Baines Johnson (D) give two of the best statements I have ever heard. Kay Bailey said Bentsen was “the last of an era” and she longed for the return of civilized bi-partisan statesmanship that he represented. Luci Baines gave a tribute from the heart. Both were impressive.

A return to statesmanship is what we should start picking for office.

As we left a reporter came running out and asked my wife for her name. Apparently they took a photo of her talking with a former Presidential candidate. Well, that should be interesting if it's published...

Sen. Bentsen and Jack Cato – you are two good men --statesmen giants that will be greatly missed.

No comments: