Share

Bookmark and Share

Friday, August 19, 2005

Immigration townhall meeting

I attended both Rep. DeLay's and LULAC's immigration townhall meetings. I spoke at neither.

It wasn't allowed at DeLay's meeting (written questions only!) and at LULAC it would have required that I speak with my back towards the people (facing the panel). Sorry, but I only speak if I'm facing the people I'm talking to (and that isn't the panel but the ordinary folks in the room).

I will be convening a townhall meeting on this vital issue - offering a plan to solve this complex issue. You cannot separate security and a guest worker program in my opinion as a counter terrorism advisor.

I believe we will get security only if we set up an intelligent, legal way to process all immigration without treating people like animals.

In doing so we'll look more like confident, intelligent Americans who work out problems with our global neighbors instead of one reduced to checking 18 month old babies because their name is on the "no fly" list and using our Homeland Security funds as pork barrel rewards instead of making genuine safety investments that I will propose in this townhall meeting.

No comments: