Share

Bookmark and Share

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Judicial independence and Karl

Who would have thought that a court, forcing a reporter to reveal a source about the leak of an undercover CIA agent, would result in a surprise regarding the source named --Karl Rove, Presidential kingmaker.

That puts the Prez and GOP in a tough spot - Mr. Bush has always said he'd fire anyone who "outed" a secret agent.

Personally, I have opposed courts locking up journalists for refusing to reveal their sources. That seems to fly in the face of freedom of the press in my opinion. It reminds me of something out of the old Soviet Union.

Having an independent court yields some big surprises sometimes, but it sure beats having a dictatorship that controls everything. I see this as an opportunity.

I would support keeping Karl on the job in return for a new law protecting journalists from being locked up for not giving 'big brother' their confidential sources. Fair?

No comments: