Share

Bookmark and Share

Saturday, May 07, 2005

Challenging the Powerful = An American duty

Welcome to my exploratory committee blog. My name is Michael Fjetland ("Fetland"). Fjetland is a Viking name, hence the name of this blog.

I am considering a challenge to Rep. Tom DeLay in the 2006 GOP primary. Why? It would not be my first time, but it could be the first time I do it with proper funding. It's hard getting money to run against the powerful, but something is different this year --ethics charges for one. Actually there have been a slew of them against the 20-year incumbent.

The last time I challenged DeLay in a GOP primary (in 2002), I got booted off the ballot. I had to sue to get back on. I won the suit but lost valuable time, the primary was nearly over. I got 20% then without a mail out or an ad. This time I'm shooting for 51% or better.

There is something uniquely American about challenging the powerful. I've traveled to over 50 countries and in a lot of them you can lose your head if you challenge the powers-that-be. This year, we will see who loses their head (or their job). This blog will chronicle the process.

No comments: